Our forum is under maintenance at the moment which means we can't reply to any posts or comments. We'll be back up online soon - in the meantime if you have a general Play Safe question please email us playsafe@health.nsw.gov.au or, if you have a sexual health question, you can ask Nurse Nettie completely confidentially here https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/ask-nurse-nettie

Puberty - the good, the bad and the pimples

mak_trouble891mak_trouble891 Posts: 563 Mod Squad
edited April 2017 in Sexual Health

Pimples......we have all been graced with that horrid bump, red, sore and full of pus. For some it is just a part of being a teenager but for others it can be something they continue to suffer from even as an adult.

Today I have one on the bottom of my chin, just one, but large enough that it looks like a planet, waiting to be discovered. No amount of make up will hide it, and no amount of popping will make it go way. I am hoping that my glasses and long hair will distract the world from it's existence lol

So what are some of your pimple experiences and/or how do you deal with the horrid pump that is the pimple? Are you a cleanser, popper,  make up coverer or do you simply let it be?

Comments

• stephaniaaaahstephaniaaaah Posts: 117 Community Manager
    Oh no @mak_trouble891
    I feel your pain!! sometimes I try to cover up my mini-planets too, but it just seems to make them worse! I try not to pop them,   I use the tea-tree facewash, then toner and moisturiser.  It has made a huge difference to my skin!! I guess I am a combination of popper/cleanser/make up coverer! Oh and make sure you clean off your make up every night!! it really helps!! 
  • ZahZah Posts: 55 Regular
    Ughhhh I feel you! I have a serious bone to pick with everyone who told me pimples were only a teenage thing. Mid 20s and still going strong! The only time I saw my skin really improve was for a few months when I was drinking like 3 liters of water a day, but that was suuuuuuch a pain and I had to pee all the time :D Have you tried putting some plain white toothpaste on that chin zit? Not a very ~grown up~ solution but it can sometimes work...
  • Big_MamaBig_Mama Posts: 58 Regular
    What about pimples on other body parts...not to get too graphic, but my bum  :|
  • Aunt_FloAunt_Flo Posts: 491 Mod Squad
    edited June 2016
    I use tea tree oil directly on my pimples and coconut oil on my body which seems to work quite well in banishing them! I had a wonderful outbreak of pimples on my chest earlier in the year though. :/
  • Lube_ManLube_Man Posts: 39 Regular
    I rarely get them now and they seem to be associated with stress or bad food habit. If I get them other areas, it tends to be as a reaction to shaving. A wise old drag queen once told me to shave under hot water as hot as you can bear it to minimise rash. I have lived by that since!

I also did use roaccutane for some sever cystic acne...but that was a killer. 6 months was all i could manage physically and mentally. lucky it worked within 6 months!
  • mak_trouble891mak_trouble891 Posts: 563 Mod Squad
    edited June 2016

@big_Mama as embarrassing as it can be to admit, I do get the odd bum pimples. And omg they can be both painful and embarrassing. I have also been know to get them on my back :(

Although I have found since using a good body wash/scrub they have improved

@Lube_Man you mentioned that you get shaving rash. I too suffer from the horrid sore and often itchy shaving rash. What do you do to help yours other than rinsing under hot water? I have taken to mens shaving cream, that seems to be the only thing that works.

Does anyone else having shaving rash issues? what helps you?

• Lube_ManLube_Man Posts: 39 Regular
    @mak_trouble891 it depends on body parts to me. legs its Veet. I shave for the groin. veet my chest and shave underarms. i dont shave my face only clipper tightly. ultimately what helps me the most is moisturising, and resisting the urge to scratch!

also if you just freshen the shave every couple of days i tend to get less and less progressively
  • CuriosityCuriosity Posts: 197 Mod Squad
    @zah I understand the frustration! I am the same way you would have thought no longer being a teenager would have stopped the pimples. Its always a costly turnover trialing products and then buying new ones when they are no longer effective
  • KitKit Posts: 403 Rock Star
    Ugh I swear I've had more pimples since puberty ended than any time I did as a teen! :( And I've never been able to track any causes or factors in a flare up. Just have to wait it out....
  • NickiPowerNickiPower Posts: 423 Rock Star
    I've found that since I've had my stress under control my pimples haven't been as bad as what they were before. I wonder if there's some connection to that or it's a glorious coincidence! @Kit I totally feel your pain, hang in there! 
  • CloakOfAshCloakOfAsh Posts: 319 Rock Star
    I never really got pimples which I was thankful for BUT with the good comes the bad - I am nearing 30 and still can't grow facial hair haha!
    Ugh another week, another pimple... At least they're shortlived :/
    @kit I am totally the same, I get way more now in my mid 20's then I did in my teens. Lately I have started tracking my moods in a bullet journal, my endometriosis pain and things like pimples. I have found so far that this is a really easy visual way to see if there is any relationship between these things happening for me.
  • ElleBelleElleBelle Posts: 410 Community Manager
    Has anyone ever tried putting toothpaste on their zits? That used to be the old recommendation in Dolly magazine :D
    Very smart @mak_trouble891. Hope it helps reveal some way to tackle them early!
    Yes at @ElleBelle lol
    I had really bad breakouts one day and my partner mentioned the toothpaste thing so I tried it. Besides making my face smell minty fresh it did seem to work as it kind of dried them out. I mixed my toothpaste with some sea salt to act as an defoliant too.  
  • MsBlueStreakMsBlueStreak Posts: 475 Rock Star
    @ElleBelle toothpaste really is the most versatile thing - it also works as a cleaner to help remove hair dye from tiles and enamel (particularly efficient at the removal of bright pink fudge from old bathtubs).
  • ElleBelleElleBelle Posts: 410 Community Manager
    That is so relevant to my interests @MsBlueStreak, I have so many hair dye stains on my bathroom sink hahaha.

I think the toothpaste trick has to happen when the pimple is just forming a head and needs to be dried out. Once it's already popped, I imagine the mint would just make it sting.
  • CloakOfAshCloakOfAsh Posts: 319 Rock Star
    Toothpaste apparently works on cold sores and getting stains out of clothes so there you go!
  • MsBlueStreakMsBlueStreak Posts: 475 Rock Star
    But is has to be the paste kind, not the gel kind, and not the fancy whitening type - just boring old paste.
    who would have thought toothpaste would have so many uses
    Toothpaste is life lol
  • teatea Posts: 267 Mod Squad
    I used to have horrible cystic acne everywhere, my face, back, chest - this lasted a good few years throughout high school until I was prescribed Accutane because nothing else seemed to work.

My skin still breaks out now, but a good diet and some gentle cleansing products help a lot! 

If I get a really bad bump I'll dab some Benzac on it and let it dry out for a few hours, and wash off. Though I wouldn't recommend this product for everyone because it is concentrated benzoyl peroxide so it can sting, and it WILL bleach everything you touch! (RIP my pillow cases)..
  • HappyHooHahHappyHooHah Posts: 56 Regular
    I've been pretty lucky with pimples in my life but I do have a strict beauty regime that I follow almost every day... (Guilty of falling asleep with makeup on after a long night)

1. Mostly its always removing make-up before going to sleep, either with makeup wipes or micellar cleansing water then following it up with a toner or hydrating mist. It can be expensive but I'm particular with the brands I choose. Always check the labels for nasty unnatural ingredients. 

2. In the morning, I wash my face with water only. If there is some makeup below my eyes, I'll get it with some micellar water on a cotton pad. 

3. Once / twice a week, I exfoliate with a natural gentle scrub and try to have at least half a day each week with no make-up on... (usually a walk to the supermarket on Sunday mornings :smile: )

I guess it's about knowing your skin type. It's a good idea to head into the body shop or Myer/DJ's where they can help you identify whats best for your skin type for FREE... If you can, avoid cheap brands of makeup and skin products. I believe your body is something you shouldn't be cutting costs for if you can avoid it... 

Personally, I love: 
    Jurlique -
    Expensive but lasts such a long time. My products usually last at least 12 months!!! So it actually works out cheaper than buying a cheap brand monthly..

The Body Shop
    Lasts such a long time... at least a year, affordable and really nice on the skin!

Micellar Water
    Cheap, better than make-up wipes and lasts longer
  • teatea Posts: 267 Mod Squad
    @HappyHooHah Thank you SO much for all of that advice!! Removing make0up before bed is such an important step (that I'm guilty of being too lazy to do sometimes honestly)....how good is micellar water though? Love it. :heart: