Am I normal? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie Am I normal?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    foxylady
    Participant

Hi there,

I have some bumps on my nipples. Am I normal?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @foxylady & sorry for my late response. The answer is yes you’re completely normal. These little bumps are called Montgomery tubercles. The number & size of these glands vary between each person. It’s great that you’re checking your breasts! Did you know that breast cancer is the most common cancer in women?

teatea

I’m so glad someone else was wondering this too! I wondered for a long time what they were, thanks for clearing things up @nurse_nettie!

I didn’t know breast cancer was the most common! What is the best way to do a self-breast exam? @nurse_nettie?

There’s this post in the forum which talks about how to perform a breast exam on yourself, but I was wondering if there were any good videos on how to do it?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@tea Just getting comfortable touching your own breasts regularly is more important than following some technique perfectly. Ideally, it’s best to feel all over both breasts & under the arm at around the same time in your cycle every month. The point is to learn what’s normal for you & see your doctor early if you notice anything unusual (e.g. a lump, change in breast shape, any redness or a discharge from the nipple).

There are lots of useful videos around, but Touch Your Tits is a little more fun to watch than the average 🙂

teatea

Thanks so much @nurse_nettie!! If breast cancer runs in the family, should checks be performed more often?

Um also, loving the merch over at Touch Your Tits!!! (Also top video)!

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @tea, if breast cancer runs in your family, it’s important to talk your GP (regular doctor) about what kind of screening you should do. Thy might recommend you start mammograms/ultrasound screening earlier. They might recommend genetic testing as well. Sometimes nothing extra is needed — not all breast cancers are hereditary. It’s important to get advice that’s specific to your situation.

No matter family history, I’d recommend that anyone with breasts (including trans women on HRT & trans men who haven’t had top surgery) do self exams just after their period or the same time each month if they don’t have periods.

Kerrshay
    Participant

Yes that’s pretty normal. I think most if not all females have that around their aeriolas.

curiousss

I thought i was one of the only ones with little bumps on my nipples! Thanks for clearing this up guys! @foxylady @tea @nurse_nettie @kerrshay!!

DirtyChai

Hey guys, on the note of breast checks… I actually found this really cool Breast Awareness Hanger over at the Courageous Ladies website. I live in a share-house with two other girls so I’m going to hang it on our bathroom door 🙂

-_-
    Participant

Hey @dirtychai, love that! I’ve actually been thinking about investing in one of the Courageous Ladies calendars as a general mood booster but this Breast Awareness Hanger is super cool. Perfect if sharing a house with a few ladies as a reminder to do regular breast checks. Something i’ve been neglecting, so thanks for the reminder.

curiousss

Hey @dirtychai and @yogigirl thanks for this! I’ve wanted to learn how to do a breast check for ages. This has reminded me!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.