Same-Sex Marriage YES! - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Same-Sex Marriage YES!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    teatea

THE RESULTS FOR THE POSTAL SURVEY HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!!

62% of Australians voted YES for SSM! That’s 7.8 MILLION people!!

You can see a FULL breakdown of the stats here!

Of course this doesn’t mean the fight for marriage equality is over, and we still have a long way to go but what a great step in the right direction for the LGBTQI+ community! :heart: Thoughts? How do you feel about the outcome?

-_-
    Participant

YES!  <3 It’s a great outcome for a non-compulsory vote, couldn’t be more thrilled, though agree, it’s far from over and such a shame the LGBTIQ community had to be dragged through this – I am proud of Australians today and super excited about all the FABULOUS weddings I get to go too now  🙂

#loveislove 

PurplePurple

I’m super happy what an amazing day. But terrified it still wont pass through government, and we’ll be back where we started. Also disappointed it cost $122 million and that it could have been spent on something else like health care or education. 

peachy
    Participant

YESSSS!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 I’ve been watching so many clips from results parties and Penny Wong’s reaction and just crying with happiness all day haha! I’m trying to stay positive about it passing through government. You would have such angry backlash from not just the LGBTQI community but those frustrated about the cost, just like you said @jessica 

EarthMamaEarthMama

YESSSSS !!!! I had the loveliest experience on Wednesday morning. I was at the hairdressers when the results were announced and my hairdresser is queer- so she was doing my hair and I was scrolling Facebook waiting for the results and we just cried. Such a surreal moment. HAPPY DAYS!! <3 <3 <3 (here’s hoping government does actually pass the bill by new year)

MintMilanoMintMilano

It was such an amazing day! I went to the official announcement in Sydney with a bunch of my friends – if you watched the channel 7 News footage you probably saw me jumping up and down in excitement  😀
    Still a way to go to get the legislation passed in government but it was a truly historic moment! 

CookieMonster
    Participant

did you guys hear it’s passed in parliament last week !! the earliest “gay marriage’ could be 6th of Jan!!! 

now to stop calling it ‘gay marriage’ and just call it marriage!! 

MintMilanoMintMilano

yes! such great news! I was watching the speeches in Parliament all day, took forever but they finally got it through. 
    any couple wanting to marry have to give a 1 month “intention to marry” notice, which is why the earliest any gay couples could get married is Jan 6th – if they put in their intention to marry as soon as the bill was passed. although couples who have had marriages in countries were their marriage was legally recognised will now automatically have their unions recognised here as well 🙂 

EarthMamaEarthMama

YESS!! What a brilliant day for all!! <3

-_-
    Participant

I cried a bit! What a massive day for Australia – about time!  Now to some FABULOUS weddings!!!

teatea

Has anyone heard anything new about the definition of gay marriage being changed yet? Or any stories of marriages that have happened since the passing of marriage equality?

I found this article about some couples who have clearly been waiting for this to happen for a long time and wow my heart is so full of relief for them. 

What challenges do you think the LGBTQIA+ community faces now that marriage equality has been passed?

MintMilanoMintMilano

I saw this article last week and I was going through post Mardr Gras depression and I actually cried at my desk at work. 

peachy
    Participant

@MintMilano omg don’t make me cry in my tute!!  :'(
    @tea I think the big challenge will be keeping the fight going for other LGBTQIA equality issues without opponents using the ‘slippery slope’ argument to derail it. Like the Safe Schools debate has gone a bit silent since the marriage equality results came out : 

teatea

@peachy OH good point about the Safe Schools debate though, even within the queer department at my uni I haven’t heard anything about rallying for it which is interesting. I think i’ll bring it up at the next meeting I attend! 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.