Making friends - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Making friends

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The user and all related content has been deleted.

teatea

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through a difficult time right now @curious. Break-ups can be difficult to deal with so I’d recommend focusing on yourself for a while. Try checking out these handy tips on what to do after a break-up (I’m a huge fan of reading books during a rough time).

I can relate though, I’ve broken up with people before and because we shared a lot of the same friends, I lost those friends too. My advice would be to focus on yourself and keep doing the things you like and making friends will come naturally. When I want to meet new people, I find that joining a club can really help because I’m surrounded by people who are into what I’m into! What kind of things do you enjoy doing? 

peachy
    Participant

@curious I’m sorry you’re going through such a tough time right now. I’m a pretty shy person too so I understand how tough it can be to throw yourself into making new friends.

It can make a difference whether you’re still at school, left school or at uni. If you’re at uni, clubs and societies are the easiest way to make friends. If you don’t have access to uni clubs, there are groups on MeetUp and Facebook events (there is a search feature so you can find ones specific to your area/interests).

I also started getting into writing letters to pen pals earlier this year (bit retro I know!) which might be a good first step if you’re not comfortable going to events by yourself. Reddit has a good Penpal thread. It’s a good idea to get a PO box or ask for emails rather than letters so you’re not giving out your address online. 

Anonymous

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Sorry to hear what you’re going through, @curious. I started to reconnect with people I hadn’t really given much of a chance, like acquaintances I knew and have a few more friends now. I’m very shy too, but learning it’s okay to say something embarrassing was a big help in me making the first move with potential friends.

CookieMonster
    Participant

@curious Sorry to hear about your break up. I hope you are taking some time to heal yourself and do things you enjoy.

Earlier this year I also went though a break up and I found it really hard at the last 3 years I spent ALL my free time with his friend so I basically had to re-connect with people I had lost touch with and re-learn how to make friends.

My advice would be that of everyone else to take some time for yourself. If you are looking to branch out and meet people you wouldn’t run into in your day to day life I would look at starting a hobby. You can find so many different types from physical activities (bonus cause when you work out you get endorphins which will help make you feel better!!!) to book clubs etc there are a huge range of new things you can try and meet a tone of people on the way! 

Anonymous

CookieMonster
    Participant

@curious I glad to hear that!!! 

you will have to let us know how it goes!

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

That’s so great @curious! Hope you have a lovely time. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.