Picking the right birth control - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Picking the right birth control

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Birth control is a funny thing sometimes! What can work wonders for one person might make another miserable. It’s so individual! How did you pick the right birth control for you? Did you have any hiccups? I’m on the pill and was spotting for three straight months before everything settled. How about you guys?

v4wanndii
    Participant

Pill does not suit me, so I use condom and calendar methods. I actually consult my doctor before going on these methods. I know the calendar method is unreliable. However, I have regular period, so we know when shall we use condom within those 28 days. I consider using IUD after I have one or two children though 🙂

Zah
    Participant

Haha, all those little asterisks sorta add an air of mystery! Pill didn’t suit me either- its a shame cos I loved using it to skip periods too- so I got a copper IUD a few months ago. Not gonna lie, the cramps are real bad, but it’s such a good method otherwise that I’m sticking with it anyway 🙂

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Haha, it adds some extra spice. 😉 The pill has been great for me with no more side effects, and I do love the advantage of skipping periods! Glad you’ve found something that’s suiting you though. I’ve been considering the implant because I like the idea of using a LARC, but because I’m not having troubles on the pill, I don’t know if I should!

v4wanndii
    Participant

haha just realized that the c.o.n.d.o.m is filtered. Strange…YYYYY

-_-
    Participant

That is weird that con-dom didn’t get through!   I was on the plastic IUD for a few years, it worked really well for me, especially with reducing the menstrual cramps that I was experiencing!  The pill wasn’t the best for me I found.

Everyone is different, and there are so many excellent long acting contraceptive devices which means that you don’t have to remember to take the pill every day! Here is a list of contraceptive options available in Australia. Family Planning has so many great fact sheets.  Not all contraceptive methods work the same way. They can have different benefits, downsides and costs. That’s why it’s important to think about all the types available and pick an option that best suits you! 

Lube_Man
    Participant

so much respect for you ladies! us gents definitely are lucky not to have to go through the pain you mostly do!

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I use to just use condoms, but because of endometriosis I am no using an IUD or merina. I can’t say I am a fan, but it is the only thing that seems to be working for me. The main things I don’t like are the long adjustment period after insertion and that I still experience pain with it during sex.

The_Beep
    Participant

Picking the right birth control is tricky! and even picking the right brand of pill can be quite tough.
    I went through quite a few different brands before I found the right one (YAZ) for me.

And when I say right one, I mean the one that didn’t make me an emotionally unstable crazy monster that would cry/laugh hysterically when looking at puppies on youtube 

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Family Planning NSW have a range of great resources: http://www.fpnsw.org.au/index_factsheets.html

-_-
    Participant

That is weird that con-dom didn’t get through!   I was on the plastic IUD for a few years, it worked really well for me, especially with reducing the menstrual cramps that I was experiencing!  The pill wasn’t the best for me I found.

Everyone is different, and there are so many excellent long acting contraceptive devices which means that you don’t have to remember to take the pill every day! Here is a list of contraceptive options available in Australia. Family Planning has so many great fact sheets.  Not all contraceptive methods work the same way. They can have different benefits, downsides and costs. That’s why it’s important to think about all the types available and pick an option that best suits you! 

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Family Planning NSW have a range of great resources: http://www.fpnsw.org.au/index_factsheets.html

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

@The_Beep it sure can! I had to switch from Yasmin to Monofeme before I felt settled with my pill choice. Ah, I love Family Planning factsheets, they’re so helpful!

EggplantEmoji
    Participant

The combined oral contraceptive pill (mine doesn’t have a cute name, alas, just Microgynon 20ED) has always worked well for me! It’s one of the older pills, but it has a good amount of data on it though. It’s only $5 for 3 months in NZ, but it’s a private prescription here so costs $35+! I always stock up when I go home :p 

Curiosity
    Participant

I was on the pill until it started to dry out my eyes (very strange side effect), then switched to the implanon. That method has its ups and downs but mostly ups. I’m just not the biggest fan when in comes to the insertion and removal because I’m squeamish, but it lasts for 3 years so I try to justify the uncomfortable. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.