Dry vagina - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Dry vagina

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    pollypower
    Participant

my doctor recently said I have a dry vagina. Anyone have any insights?

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Huh, they didn’t give you any tips at all @pollypower?

I suffered from dryness when I was using tampons, but switching to the cup solved that for me. 

CloakOfAsh
    Participant

@Nurse_Nettie what do you think?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @ Pollypower, vaginal dryness occurs at any age and time and there are many causes (hormonal changes, medications, soaps and washing powders, for example). Click here for more info. Using vaginal moisturisers every few days and lubricants for sex and masturbation can help relieve symptoms. These products are available at online, at pharmacies or sex shops.

NickiPower
    Participant

That’s really interesting @Nurse_Nettie! I’ve often wondered if stress/anxiety can play a part in it too! 

ElleBelle
    Participant

Could your vagina become dry if you are dehydrated @Nurse_Nettie, or are those completely different bodily systems?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Yes that’s right @ElleBelle! Vaginal secretions consist largely of water so if the body is dehydrated it can result in vaginal dryness too. Dehydration may also increase the risk of urinary tract infections. Keep well hydrated by drinking 2 litres of water a day!

Kit
    Participant

I understand your concern @pollypower. It certainly comes across like it could mean something else when your doctor mentions it!

My doctor commented similarly once but it was only in passing and my impression from the comment was that it really meant ‘it is a little dry right now‘. I think like @Aunt_Flo I’ve found it can happen when using tampons or when a little dehydrated. I guess the opposite could feel more embarrassing in the doctor’s office (!) but what I took to understand is that there’s nothing to worry about, it happens.

@Nurse_Nettie The link above mostly references dryness in the context of sexual activity – would it be right to presume in the context of everyday life and activity that dryness isn’t concerning? Are there any health issues or complications that can develop from prolonged dryness?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Thanks for your question @Kit. That’s right, a bit of vaginal dryness itself doesn’t lead to any major health issues but ongoing vaginal or vulval dryness especially if you have discomfort could be a sign that there is something wrong and certainly should be checked out. Have a look here for more info

NickiPower
    Participant

Thanks for that question @ElleBelle! I didn’t realise that you could get dryness from dehydration! Makes sense. 

kindofsquishy
    Participant

I didn’t even know that vagina moisturisers were a thing! Are they different from regular moisturisers?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Yes @kindofsquishy. Vaginal moisturisers are different from regular moisturisers. Sometimes they contain hormones (like oestrogen), are usually fragrance free & made with water based or silicone based ingredients (instead of oils).

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

Hey @Nurse_Nettie… so based upon your information, I decided to check out the right aisle in the pharmacy… I was seriously surprised by the number of over the counter products available.

Has anyone else done some investigating?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.