Our forum is under maintenance at the moment which means we can't reply to any posts or comments. We'll be back up online soon - in the meantime if you have a general Play Safe question please email us [email protected] or, if you have a sexual health question, you can ask Nurse Nettie completely confidentially here https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/ask-nurse-nettie

Using lotion and other stuff to masturbate

ElleBelleElleBelle Posts: 410 Community Manager
edited April 2017 in Nurse Nettie
Hi @Nurse_Nettie, I am wondering if it's unsafe to use hand lotion, moisturiser, vaseline, etc as a lubricant when you masturbate? Is there any risk of a urinary tract infection or hurting the skin around that area?

Comments

• Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie Posts: 319 Mod Squad
    Hi @ElleBelle, this is a great question! People use all sorts of lubricants during masturbation and sex to make it feel nice and to reduce friction. The general rule is to use a product that won't irritate this delicate skin. Some lotions and moisturisers' contain alcohol, preservatives and perfumes which may cause dryness, redness and swelling. Some people may develop allergies and dermatitis (inflammation of the skin). There are many lubricants available for masturbation as well as when using condoms.   The fun thing about these lubes is that they can be coloured, flavoured and give different sensations! They're also less likely to cause harm to the skin. 
  • MsBlueStreakMsBlueStreak Posts: 475 Rock Star
    edited February 2017
    Hi @Nurse_Nettie,

So I understand that designed for purpose lubricants are the best option, but,,,

If you find yourself in the mood and short on supplies, what should we be looking to avoid using?  Are there any ingredients that we should definitely be looking to avoid using on our delicate genital skin?  Are 'natural' options better than synthetic? Should we be avoid the kitchen when searching for options?

(Okay, I'm just asking things now)
  • Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie Posts: 319 Mod Squad
    Hi @MsBlueStreak, it's definitely ok to ask! :). First of all when stepping into the kitchen, think about food allergies and avoid anything that might cause a reaction. Chilli sauce will cause a burning sensation. Anything with alcohol or disinfectants (including perfumed soaps) will harm the natural healthy bacteria on the skin. Are natural products better than synthetic? The answer depends on the individual as some people have sensitivities to natural or synthetic products. Consider testing a small area first. Lastly, some people also use saliva. By this I mean the safest option is to use your own. 
  • Aunt_FloAunt_Flo Posts: 491 Mod Squad
    I find coconut oil a good alternative to lubricant, particularly for external use! I always have some on hand because it's my body moisturiser.

Unfortunately, because it is an oil, it's not any good for certain sex toys.
  • CloakOfAshCloakOfAsh Posts: 319 Rock Star
    From experience I can advice against shaving cream. Or so a friend of a friend told me - I swear 
  • NickiPowerNickiPower Posts: 423 Rock Star
    edited February 2017
    @Aunt_Flo Wow! Coconut oil is good for EVERYTHING! (except toys) :wink: