Kinsey Scale - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sex & Relationships Kinsey Scale

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Curiosity
    Participant

What are your thoughts?

In 1948, Dr. Alfred Kinsey developed a scale for measuring human sexuality which determined whether a person was gay, straight, or something in between. Where do you think you fall on the scale? 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/lets-talk-about-sex?utm_term=.bdAAXOj2G#.blRBn83Q5 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

Trying not to feel offended by the language chosen to describe… but unsurprisingly this is very close to being completely true:

Strictly heterosexual.

You’re straighter than a ruler wearing black socks with sandals. Every sexual thought you’ve ever had has been for a member of the other sex, and that’ll probably never change. Your sexuality is about as fluid as the polar ice caps.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I got: Mostly heterosexual
    You’re mostly straight, but you’re open to new ideas and experiences. Maybe you’ve had a passing thought or fantasy, and maybe you’ve actually thought about pursuing those impulses. Your sexuality is definitely a little more fluid than most.

Curiosity
    Participant

@MsBlueStreak you’re right the language could definitely be improved on the quiz

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@Curiosity the language seems geared towards encouraging fluid sexuality. Which is totally great for breaking down stigma, however I feel it risks a ‘vote Trump’ like backlash from the ‘maligned majority’ if they come to feel victimised. 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I got ‘mostly heterosexual’.

I like the idea of the Kinsey scale. I think identifying sexuality fluid is a step in the right direction.

Curiosity
    Participant

@MsBlueStreak it’s good that it is encouraging conversations about fluid sexuality and exploring it on a continuum. Language wise – I’m just not a fan of using the word ‘homosexual’ since it’s medically derived and has a lot of negative connotations, I think ‘same sex attracted’ is more positive phrase and  that could switch it out

I got ‘mostly heterosexual’ 

kindofsquishy
    Participant

*At times, you’ve found yourself drawn to different types of people: gay, straight, male, female, and whatever else. Your sexuality is about as fluid as it gets, and it’ll probably remain so as long as you’re having sexual impulses.*

“And whatever else” hahahha

ElleBelle
    Participant

Mostly heterosexual.

I’ve seen the Kinsey scale as a 5 point scale but also as a 7 point scale, which I think might be easier to place myself along.

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@Curiosity – I totally support encouraging conversations, especially positive and open ones that lead to progress.

However, while “straighter than a ruler wearing black socks with sandals” produced a giggle out of me, if you used it on some of my less open minded family members, they’d use it as a reason to shout about the majority being victimised and the need to return to better cultural values.

Also, the fact that my “sexuality is about as fluid as the polar ice caps” (that one was just plain funny) doesn’t prohibit me from being open minded and accepting.

Curiosity
    Participant

@MsBlueStreak yep, good point that could very quickly turn if someone was less open minded. There’s that Buzzfeed spin, since I’m sure Kinsey didn’t write those exact description back in 1948 :smiley: I wonder if black socks and sandals were in then? lol 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@Curiosity – the Kinsey Institute is generally very open, inviting and friendly with it’s language. So I had presumed that it wasn’t their language. And Buzzfeed certainly does prefer the inside jokes for liberals.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Sex & Relationships’ is closed to new topics and replies.