Our forum is under maintenance at the moment which means we can't reply to any posts or comments. We'll be back up online soon - in the meantime if you have a general Play Safe question please email us playsafe@health.nsw.gov.au or, if you have a sexual health question, you can ask Nurse Nettie completely confidentially here https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/ask-nurse-nettie

Weird Sex Facts

ElleBelleElleBelle Posts: 410 Community Manager
Today I learned that if female ferrets don't have sex for a year, the level of estrogen in their bloodstream will literally kill them! What are the most unusual, but true, facts about sex you've ever heard?

Comments

• mak_trouble891mak_trouble891 Posts: 563 Mod Squad
    What?! WOW!
  • CuriosityCuriosity Posts: 197 Mod Squad
    @ElleBelle when I had my ferret we had to make sure we got her de-sexed as soon as she was old enough, which cost around $500. But very scary to think that she could die from not doing it
  • ElleBelleElleBelle Posts: 410 Community Manager
    I've also learned that sperm travels faster than Usain Bolt!
  • CloakOfAshCloakOfAsh Posts: 319 Rock Star
    That is crazy! Taking blue balls to a new level huh?
    @ElleBelle the average ejaculation speed is 45 km/hour! Crazy fast

• MsBlueStreakMsBlueStreak Posts: 475 Rock Star
  • kindofsquishykindofsquishy Posts: 56 Mod Squad
    I don't know how accurate this is but I heard that during sex your inner nose swells due to the increased blood flow. 
  • Aunt_FloAunt_Flo Posts: 491 Mod Squad
    @kindofsquishy I don't know what to do with that fact but it's a good one! 
  • kindofsquishykindofsquishy Posts: 56 Mod Squad
    Haha yeah I honestly don't even know how I remembered it, it's such a random fact! @Aunt_Flo
    Did you know they have begun researching using the chemical released in men after sex for medication due to it's drowsy inducing effects?
  • KitKit Posts: 403 Rock Star
    edited December 2016
    This sounds fascinating. Is it research only in men or research about a chemical that is only released in men?
  • NickiPowerNickiPower Posts: 423 Rock Star
    @CloakOfAsh @Kit I'm also interested, because I'm sure there's a heap of females that are sleepy post sex too! 
  • MsBlueStreakMsBlueStreak Posts: 475 Rock Star
    One holiday themed addition, one not at all themed, and one Aussie WTF:
    http

Pumpkins might be a male aphrodisiac.

According to The Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation of Chicago, the smell of pumpkin can increase blood flow to the penis, providing some interesting insight into why men love Thanksgiving so much.

(Source: http://www.lifebuzz.com/sex-facts/)

Semen is rich in natural ingredients.

Not only does it contain nitrogen, fructose, lactic acid, ascorbic acid, cholesterol, creatine and citric acid, but also Vitamin B and protein.

Western Australia sure does love threesomes.

A survey found that 53% of the population had engaged in one at one point or another.

(Sources: http://twentytwowords.com/fun-and-weird-sex-facts-you-never-learned-in-biology-class/)

@Kit @NickiPower hmmm perhaps it's released in both men and women but is higher in men? 
  • walk_on_wallswalk_on_walls Posts: 191 Mod Squad
    Sex uses all five senses - smell, taste, touch, sight, sound.
  • RoseHillRoseHill Posts: 71 Mod Squad
    Women's genitals taste and smell sweeter during ovulation! 
    And breasts can increase in size up to 25% depending on the time of the month as well!  :#
  • mak_trouble891mak_trouble891 Posts: 563 Mod Squad
    @RoseHill the female body is so cool 
  • v4wanndiiv4wanndii Posts: 122 Regular
    I heard that Sex on Wednesday is the healthiest sex. Not sure if it's true
  • NickiPowerNickiPower Posts: 423 Rock Star
    Isn't pineapple juice supposed to change the taste of sperm? I may get @Nurse_Nettie to help on that one because I sure don't understand how it does it! 
    @NickiPower that's a good question, I've heard that too. I wonder how it works/if it works
  • Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie Posts: 319 Mod Squad
    @NickiPower and @Curiosity, this weird sex fact is a myth!  Semen contains mostly water & sperm as well as sugars, salts & minerals. Whilst semen taste, quantity & consistency may vary based on diet, hydration, sexual activity & lifestyle -pineapple juice has never been proven to influence taste!
    @Nurse_Nettie what about asparagus? Isn't that another one?
    @CloakOfAsh yes its another one. Asparagus doesn't change the way semen tastes. There's some reports of asparagus (& beetroot!) changing urine colour or odour however this effect is not known for all people. This is related to a person's metabolism (how the body processes food we eat) & eliminates waste. 
  • teatea Posts: 267 Mod Squad
    edited November 2017
    One out of 17 people are having sex, right now. That's 400,000,000 a day!!! :o

I was really shocked to hear about those poor ferrets, could you imagine if humans were like that? :worried:
  • HoneyPotHoneyPot Posts: 123 Mod Squad
  • MintMilanoMintMilano Posts: 181 Mod Squad
    My favourite fun fact I learned when doing anatomy was that the acidity/pH level of an unaroused vagina is the same as a glass of red wine. It gets less acidic when aroused so provide a more habitable environment for sperm. 
  • CookieMonsterCookieMonster Posts: 104 Mod Squad
    I've heard that women are happier when they consume cum..... 
    edited 21-01-2018

Hi @CookieMonster, in any type of sex, what makes people feel happiness or pleasure is personal & individual! Some women might like it & some women may not like oral sex or ejaculation. Good happy sex is about talking to your partner & learning what they like & dont like & not assuming they're enjoying it.