Endometriosis - you're not alone - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Endometriosis – you’re not alone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant

So I was diagnosed with endometriosis and PCOS about 18 months – 2 years ago. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with endometriosis or PCOS and how they coped or are coping. I thought this would be a good place to share experiences, gain insight and tips. 🙂

ElleBelle
    Participant

I have PCOS @mak_trouble891. I was diagnosed about ten years ago when I missed two periods, took about a thousand negative pregnancy tests and finally decided to see a doctor.  Then I had an internal ultrasound to confirm. I gotta say, it’s not much fun what with the surprise periods, random chin hairs and difficulty losing weight. I know not everyone experiences all those symptoms, and there’s a few I don’t experience, like acne and patchy skin. I was surprised to learn that Posh Spice has PCOS.

Kit
    Participant

Thanks for starting this thread @mak_trouble891. Sharing really helps to realise others face similar concerns. It brings to mind that line from Embarrassing Bodies: ‘there’s no shame we’re all the same’ 🙂

I don’t have a diagnosis but learnt a lot about PCOS recently as my GP has put it on the radar as a possibility. So I’m just learning and monitoring for now. Hope you don’t mind if I tag along 🙂

Have to say I didn’t know about Posh Spice either but it goes to show you never know what others are facing, right?

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Thanks for sharing @ElleBelle. I have got to say those internal ultrasounds are not the most fun. I can definitely relate with the random chin hairs and trouble losing weight. My boyfriend will often job about my chin whiskers lol I have been lucky with the acne, I definitely don’t have it as bad as some. But I am surprised to learn that Posh Spice has PCOS. Like @Kit said ‘You never know what others are facing’.

ElleBelle
    Participant

I think some types of hormonal birth control can help with PCOS symptoms. Is that right @Nurse_Nettie? My hormones are already so wacky I feel a bit hesistant to add another lot into the mix.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@ElleBelle Yes, combined oral contraceptive pills (the kind with both oestrogen and progestogen) are the most common treatment for PCOS symptoms. People with PCOS have high androgen hormone levels that can cause acne and extra hair growth. The Pill isn’t a cure, but it will often hugely improve those particular problems! It also makes bleeding predictable. Weight gain and difficulty losing weight is a bit more tricky unfortunately.  Generally doctors will focus on the usual lifestyle strategies, though if you’re found to have insulin problems, they may prescribe Metformin as well. 

mak_trouble891
    Participant

@ElleBelle for my PCOS and endometriosis I have had the mirena put it, to do what the pill and other oral contraceptives do. After a few initial issues it seems to be helping 🙂 

ElleBelle
    Participant

That’s interesting @mak_trouble891. I’ve heard some doctors won’t put in a Mirena unless you’ve already had kids. 

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

You are right @ElleBelle it used to be a belief held widely by many doctors that women who hadn’t had children  and also women who were not in a monogamous relationship shouldn’t have an IUD. This is no longer the current recommendation. https://www.fpnsw.org.au/health-information/contraception/hormone-releasing-iud-mirena

ElleBelle
    Participant

I’m glad to hear that @Nurse_Nettie, the more choices we have for contraception the better!

kindofsquishy
    Participant

Hello, another PCOS friend here 🙂 I found it curious that the hormone pills my doctor prescribed me for my PCOS are the same brand that my trans friend takes to help her transition! She obviously takes a much higher dose than I do but I found it pretty cool. We actually kind of have similar problems when it comes to our hormones in a way (although her lived experience is obviously much more tough and traumatic than mine is as a cisgendered female) – we have issues with unwanted hair, hormone imbalances, weight and mood fluctuations among plenty of other embarrassing/frustrating/upsetting things that makes us feel “unfeminine” and creates a certain level of body dysmorphia.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Thanks for sharing @kindofsquishy, that’s really interesting. As another person who suffers from all those things (unwanted hair, hormone issues, weight problems) what do you find helps you body dysmorphia? For me exercise and weight lifting has been my biggest help. I still struggle with the unwanted hair and hormones, but weight lifting has helped me to love and except my body more.

kindofsquishy
    Participant

I’m actually still kind of figuring that bit out, @mak_trouble891. Sometimes I can just kind of ignore it, other times it really gets me down. I think losing weight will help me and I’m looking to get a gastric bypass sometime this year so hopefully that helps!

ElleBelle
    Participant

Weight lifting is so fun! I have really solid, strong legs so I find I can out-squat some guys. Perhaps it’s the excess androgens we have that make us see strength gains faster than some other women.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I don’t know @ElleBelle maybe @Nurse_Nettie might be able to help? All I know is like you I love it, and love out squatting guys and deadlifting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.