Motivate me! - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Motivate me!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant
    So I have noticed recently that my motivation to do certain things has been lacking, and the things that I would usually do to motivate myself are no longer working. I was wondering what things other people do to get and keep themselves motived, especially when it comes to things like study and exercise.
    Curiosity
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 for studying:  I’m a big list maker where you can cross things off the lis, and bribing myself with 1 hour of focused study, I will allow myself to watch 1 episode of a tv show
    For working out: I usually try to find a new workout routine that looks fun and I do like changing it up with a group fitness class, I find they are more motivating that going by yourself

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

Totally agree with @Curiosity about lists! I draw little checkboxes as the dot points on my lists and check them off as I go. It’s a really good way to mark your progress and feel better about getting stuff done. Working with friends is good as well – be it working out together, having a fitness goal (I would message my friend when I had done some cycling to make sure they would go running and vice versa), or tell them your study goal and they can make sure you e reached it. I think being realistic is important too. If you’re more of a night owl, do some light studying during the day and really focus at night time. 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 if I recall you’ve recently started a new job. Adjusting to a new job absorbs a lot of our mental space, and it may just have something to do with your lack of motivation for other things you enjoy.  

So in addition to making lists to help you get those things that need doing done, please remember to be kind to yourself, and take time out to relax. If the things you were enjoying were important and brought you joy, trying doing them a little a at a time (less than you used to), so that you don’t lose touch during this adjustment period where you’ll need more down time. 

You will find your new routine.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Yeah @MsBlueStreak I have started a new job, which I am still trying to learn, but really do enjoy. I definitely do need to be kinder to myself and remember to relax. I am just about to start an 8 week challenge at my gym, so I am hoping that will not only help motivate me to exercise but help with routine and stress release.
    @Curiosity, I have been trying to do the list thing but I think I might try the reward thing you suggested, and for 1 hour study I can watch 1 hour over my fav TV show 🙂

NickiPower
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 For fitness I have a coach, so then I have a plan and I know what to do and my coach will hold me accountable! Even then, sometimes it’s super hard to be motivated! 

mak_trouble891
    Participant

@NickiPower I started my 8 week challenge today, it also includes a personal trainer for the 8 weeks. I am hoping that this will motivate me, so like you said I can develop a plan and be held accountable!

NickiPower
    Participant

Awesome job @mak_trouble891! I’ve also started a PT plan, I’m yet to submit my goals (it’s been 48 hours), I feel I’m failing already!!!! :joy:

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Don’t worry @NickiPower I feel the same way, I have been struggling and I am only on day 3 of my challenge. I didn’t exercise today because I was too sore and I can feel my body craving junk food. I have no idea how I am going to last 8 weeks lol

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 – I know the early ouch and cravings…. But I found (during previous exercise campaigns), that they do go away after a couple of weeks.  I found I started craving salad, and yoghurt, and fruit etc (you know the vitamins and nutrition).

EggplantEmoji
    Participant

I use the app habitica hehe, it gameifies productivity

NickiPower
    Participant

I crave junk food when I’m sick, and I have been so I’ve just given in. Nothing like being sick and miserable! @mak_trouble891

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I am noticing I am getting a little better @MsBlueStreak, I am starting to enjoy my morning oats, which I absolutely hated at the start of the challenge so that’s a good thing

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

Well done on keeping on keeping on – your body will always tell you what it wants @mak_trouble891.  The craving of the junk food was your body attempting to keep it’s reserves reserved… but hopefully you’ll notice more and more that you want the yummy healthy stuff.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Thanks @MsBlueStreak, I had my fist weigh in this week, and I have already lot 1.3kg! So that’s definitely motivating

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.