Tampon Vs Pad, which is safer? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Tampon Vs Pad, which is safer?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    v4wanndii
    Participant

Tampon and pad, which  one is safer (from leaking) and easier to use? I never use tampon before, well I don’t like the idea of having a strange object in my vagina. But sometimes, it is annoying to bring pads in your small handbag. That’s why i am considering if i should try tampon. Can you share your experience? 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

Hey @v4wanndii…. I’m gonna tag @Nurse_Nettie in on this conversation on the topic of “strange object in my vagina” – quite sure she’ll have wisdom that will help you to decide if that should be an ongoing concern.

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@MsBlueStreak sounds like @v4wanndii is asking whether pads or tampons work better. I’d say the answer depends on what’s most important to you! Tampons are probably more likely to leak and pads may be easier to use, but I wouldn’t say that leaks from tampons are unavoidable or that they are hard to use. Check out this fun article about the pros and cons of tampons versus pads. You can also see what Family Planning has to say about the various types of menstrual protection here. They each have their benefits and drawbacks! 

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’ve mentioned in other threads that I much prefer using the menstrual cup! I got it two months ago. It’s essentially a tampon, but reusable, with no risk of toxic shock syndrome (TSS) and more eco-friendly. Prior to using that I found tampons to be the most useful, but they had pros and cons. Obviously, I could keep swimming, and dancing more comfortably, and I found them a lot better to wear when I had jeans or tight pants on. But, they caused vaginal dryness which was pretty uncomfortable. Tampons definitely leaked more for me than pads, but at the same time, I often got blood all over with pads as they shifted throughout the day. I think your choice might depend on your situation. If you’re going out for a while, like you said, you might not want to carry pads so you could use tampons. Otherwise, stick to pads if you’re not comfortable with tampons. 

v4wanndii
    Participant

@Nurse_Nettie @MsBlueStreak  @Aunt_Flo thank you. I get a lot of information. I think i have a decision. Thanks

Kit
    Participant

Your individual flow will play a role too. In the early days I was always pads but now mix it up with liners based on flow, what I’m doing that day, outfit, etc. My sister has always been pro pads but I’m more likely to favour tampons now.

NickiPower
    Participant

I just actually noticed that regular tampons are for a light flow, super are for a regular flow etc. There’s information at the side of the pack which I had never read until the other day!! 

@v4wanndii tampons with an applicator I find are much easier to handle, and there’s even ones that are smaller so it isn’t noticeable if you need to carry one up your sleeve 🙂

RoseHill
    Participant

I’m with @Aunt_Flo ! I use the menstrual cup too! I’m rubbish at remembering to bring backup pads or tampons with me and I’m not always great with schedule remembering to only leave a tampon in for 4-8 hours or whatever the TSS warning is now… so the cup works a lot better for me! Also its much more environmentally friendly 🙂 and cheaper!

mak_trouble891
    Participant

If your thinking of using tampons but are afraid of leakages, I use a small panty liner as well just for added peace of mind and protection. Seems to do the job 🙂

Kit
    Participant

Slightly off topic but has anyone seen or used period underwear? It slightly gives me the heebie jeebies but it’s certainly some ingenious technology.

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’ve seen it @Kit! There’s also reusable pads. I would probably use the underwear during the nighttime, otherwise eh. Not something that appeals to me. 

mak_trouble891
    Participant

No, what are they like?

Kit
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 Trippy. Lol 😀

I haven’t used them because I’m not quite down with the idea yet but basically all made from differing new material that means they can be safely washed and reused without staining, and a built-in absorbent lining to match your flow. Thinx and Modibodi are the main ones I can think of right now.

Curiosity
    Participant

Having spent a bit of time in the US over there all of their tampons have ‘applicators’, which is a longer plastic thing you insert into your vagina and then gently push up the tube which inserts the tampon so it is smoother and your finger doesn’t get bloody. Sounds strange but it is easier than just the tampons themselves. I’ve started noticing them popping up in Australia too. Harder to discretely carry in your purse though.

Has anyone else used these? 

https://goo.gl/images/aOaZy3

NickiPower
    Participant

@Curiosity Tampons with applicators have been available here for a long time, they’re normally down the bottom of the tampon shelves. They definitely are much easier to use! 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.