Female facial hair - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie Female facial hair

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant

Why do women start developing hair on their face? I have noticed now that I am in my 20’s I am slowly developing a moustache and side whiskers.. help! What can I do?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@mak_trouble891 Facial hair can be totally normal in women, even desirable! but it can also be a sign of a hormone imbalance. Polycystic Ovary Synodrome (PCOS) is one common reason women will develop additional facial hair.  If you have other symtpoms of PCOS, it’s a good idea to bring it up with your doctor. 

Curiosity
    Participant

I’m noticing the same type of think @mak_trouble891 getting the odd chin hair, since when I pluck them, more turn up to the party. I am planning toconsult with a beautician regarding the small amount of lazer hair removal for these few hairs @Nurse_Nettie would you recommend something like this?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@Caiti getting laser hair removal is a personal choice, purely cosmetic. Best to ask your GP or salon about the laser’s safety profile.

I can say that there aren’t any health or hygiene benefits to hair removal. In fact, in the case of pubic hair removal you may actually increase your risk of acquiring STIs like herpes & genital warts

mak_trouble891
    Participant

So I thought I’d revisit this thread..
    Recently I looked into getting laser to remove some of my unwanted facial hair however I was informed that my hair was too fine and laser would not work. I have difficulty with wax as I break out in major pimples and rashes, even when I do my arms and legs. Any suggestions? I really don’t want to be stuck plucking

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I think it was last year, possibly the year before, there was a whole ‘trend’ of women shaving their face, not only to get rid of hair, but to ‘exfoliate’ the face. You could always try that, as long as you’re prepared for upkeep. Otherwise, there are hair removal creams (although these might not be the best for you if you suffer from sensitive skin/reactions), or bleaching. 

I haven’t tried any myself yet – sometimes in the wrong light I look as though I have SO much hair, other times it doesn’t bother me so much. I’m trying to adjust to it as I get older as well. 

ElleBelle
    Participant

I feel you @mak_trouble891, I have sideburns like Abe Lincoln and a patch of stubborn chin hair thanks to PCOS. My hair is dark enough for laser, and I shave in between as they tell you not to pluck/wax if you’re doing laser so the hair growth is at the right stage for treatment. I did get electrolysis a couple of years ago. It’s a bit harder to find a clinic that will do it since laser is so popular now, but it does work on all hair types/colours. It’s a little painful, but not unbearably so.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Thanks @ElleBelle and @Aunt_Flo. Yeah I think I might have to look into the electrolysis, as I am worried if I shave the hair I have will grow back darker and/or thicker.

ElleBelle
    Participant

I’m pretty sure it’s a myth that hair can change texture from cutting/shaving @mak_trouble891. What might be happening is because it’s shaved off the end grows back blunt rather than tapered so it feels a bit more stubbly. 

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@ElleBelle I read @mak_trouble891’s post and was just about to start typing… when I realised you’d said almost exactly what I wanted to  😀 😀 😀

CloakOfAsh
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 I have been trying that theory of shaving for more growth for years as a male and still look like a 15yr old boy.

NickiPower
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 Yeah, I’m not too sure about how it grows back darker, only because after many, many years of shaving my legs it’s still the same blondeness that it was before. I agree with @ElleBelle, I think it’s because it can grow in different directions when you’ve shaved it, and you’re also probably at risk of some infected hair follicles too. 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.