Boobs, breasts, titties and nipples - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health Boobs, breasts, titties and nipples

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant
    Boobs and nipples come in different shapes, sizes and colours. Many women have one breast bigger than the other, some only slightly, and some more so.
    So why do they cause so much stress, shame and self-consciousness?
    What is a normal breast?
    What is a ‘good’ set of tits?
    Has society, film, digital imagery and cosmetic surgery influenced our view and expectations of the ideal set of boobs?
    v4wanndii
    Participant

I’m not sure what could be the normal size of breasts. Many women have gone through pain for surgery to double the size of their breasts. I think every beauty is in the eyes of beholders. Therefore, I think women should feel proud of what they have. 

NickiPower
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 It may come from the 1950s “ideal” Marilyn Monroe type hourglass shape. I agree with @v4wanndii everyone be proud of what you have but also look after them! 

mak_trouble891
    Participant

I agree totally, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I definitely know that when I was going through my teens the size, shape and even the unevenness of my breasts made me incredibly self-conscious…. And I definitely think ideals like Marilyn contributed to this.  

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Following on from this @Nurse_Nettie when should one check their breasts for lumps? Does the timing of their cycle matter?

NickiPower
    Participant

That’s a good question @mak_trouble891! I’d love to know if timing in the cycle affects when to check! 

Curiosity
    Participant

I have considered getting implants, but I doubt I ever will. Because of the price and I would only want a slight enlargement, so really I will just need to learn to love what I’ve got. 

Anyone else have the bra fitting attendant look at your bra fitting and say oh the left/right one is definitely the smaller one 

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@mak_trouble891 There used to be a lot of detailed instructions about how women should examine their breasts, but the most important thing is to just be familiar with how your breasts usually look and feel so you notice any changes!

We now recommend breast awareness which simply means looking at your breasts in the mirror and feeling them all over (from collarbone to below the bra line & into the armpit).

It’s great to do it throughout the month so you get used to the normal changes that happen in your cycle, but a few days after your period is when your breasts will be least swollen and maybe easier to feel deeply without discomfort.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

@Caiti I have one breast bigger than the other and have had many people comment, including partners (both past and present) and bra fitting attendants. Like you, I have been considering a boob job for quite some time. I honestly would just love to have boobs that fit into the same size bra and be able to wear swimmers.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

@Nurse_Nettie why do my boobs get sore?

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@mak_trouble891 If your boobs get sore around the same time every month then it’s probably hormonal. Just before your period there’s an increase of the hormone oestrogen causing breast tissue to swell and become tender.

Breast soreness can also be a sign of pregnancy, so if that’s a possibility and your period is late, it’s a good idea to take a test. 

Sometimes breast pain can be a sign of infection or other issue.  If the pain is really bad or focused on a certain spot, have your GP check it out. 

NickiPower
    Participant

We’re chatting about breasts and how to check them over on http://community.playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/discussion/206/breast-checking#latest too if you want to join in!  

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.