Avoiding unplanned pregnacy - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Nurse Nettie Avoiding unplanned pregnacy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Curiosity
    Participant
    Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

Hi @Caiti, I actually don’t think this article is very useful! What was your reaction?

To me, it makes it sounds like pregnancy risk is basically unavoidable if there is any kind of sexual contact. In fact, contraceptive methods like the pill, tubal ligation, & correct condom use are extremely effective!  It’s much more likely to have trouble getting pregnant when you’re trying to, than accidentally becoming pregnant when you’re dry humping with clothes on!

The thing to always keep in mind is, semen in the vagina can lead to pregnancy. Choosing the right contraceptive method for you – one that you are able to use correctly & consistently – is the key to avoiding an unwanted pregnancy.

Curiosity
    Participant

@Nurse_Nettie It came across as instilling fear for any kind of sexual contact and very ominous. Pushing an abstinence only approach through fear, not educating knowledge of contraceptive use and STI protection.

Kit
    Participant

@Nurse_Nettie So was there anything factually incorrect in that article?

What about the breastfeeding comment? I’ve never heard about that as a contraceptive method before and it took me by si

Kit
    Participant

*surprise

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@Kit It is true that fully breastfeeding causes lactational amenorrhoea which is actually 98% effective in preventing pregnancy in the first 6 months after baby’s birth!  It is not 100% effective, but pretty close! Lactational amenorrhoea is NOT effective however after 6 months or if baby is not solely breastfed (i.e. having formula as well as breastmilk) or once a period returns.

Some of the scenarios described in the article may be theoretically possible, but in reality are so unlikely I doubt they have EVER HAPPENED! Semen surviving in water and swimming into a nearby vagina. Uh, nope.  

The vast majority of unwanted pregnancies occur during sex in which a penis enters a vagina and the people aren’t using any contraception or are using it incorrectly or inconsistently. There are many options these days, the key to success is finding the right one for you!

Kit
    Participant

I had no idea. Thanks @Nurse_Nettie 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Nurse Nettie’ is closed to new topics and replies.