Our forum is under maintenance at the moment which means we can't reply to any posts or comments. We'll be back up online soon - in the meantime if you have a general Play Safe question please email us playsafe@health.nsw.gov.au or, if you have a sexual health question, you can ask Nurse Nettie completely confidentially here https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/ask-nurse-nettie

STI testing

CuriosityCuriosity Posts: 197 Mod Squad
edited April 2017 in Nurse Nettie
What does STI testing involve? It sounds like its really invasive. How often should I be tested?


  • MsBlueStreakMsBlueStreak Posts: 475 Rock Star
    @Caiti -

    Before @Nurse_Nettie joins the conversation, you should start here: https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/testing/what-are-the-tests-like  You'll also find a link to find out where to get tested.

  • Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie Posts: 319 Mod Squad
    edited September 2016
    @Caiti Great questions! If you don't have any symptoms, a full sexual health screen only requires a urine sample, a blood test and in some cases, a throat swab and an anal or vaginal swab that can be self-collected. You don't even need to get undressed! Thanks to @MsBlueStreak for the link to everything you need to know about STI tests!

    How often should you get tested?? Depends!

    You should test as soon as possible if:

    • you have unexplained genital or anal symptoms
    • a sexual partner has been diagnosed with chlamydia, gonorrhoea, urethritis, syphilis, hepatitis B, or HIV (even if you don't have symptoms yourself). 
    • you've had condomless sex with someone at high risk of HIV (e.g. traveling in a high prevalence country).

    You should test once a year if:

    • you're only heterosexually active and have multiple partners.
    • you're a gay or homosexually active man with one partner. 

    You should test 3-6 monthly if:

    • you're a gay or homosexually active man with multiple partners & any condomless sexual contacts.
    Of course these are broad guidelines, to find out what's right for you, best to talk to your doctor or sexual health service!
Sign In or Register to comment.