Our forum is under maintenance at the moment which means we can't reply to any posts or comments. We'll be back up online soon - in the meantime if you have a general Play Safe question please email us [email protected] or, if you have a sexual health question, you can ask Nurse Nettie completely confidentially here https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/ask-nurse-nettie

Condom Mistakes

ZahZah Posts: 55 Regular
Came across this article about mistakes that people make using condoms - http://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/15-condom-mistakes-youre-making/slide/14 . Apparently up to 3% of people re-use theirs??? Not good!

Comments

• KitKit Posts: 403 Rock Star
    Ah, the old wallet condom. Emphasis on old :#
  • CuriosityCuriosity Posts: 197 Mod Squad
    This teacher explains proper use really effectively

I love that clip!
    Reviews to help you choose condoms, once you know the correct way to used them and common mistakes. Thanks @zah

http://au.askmen.com/dating/love_tip_200/241_love_tip.html

• MsBlueStreakMsBlueStreak Posts: 475 Rock Star
    Loving that video - actually pretty much anything that gives abstinence only teaching a hard time.

Possibly my favourite joke in that video: "It might be that New Hampshire is so cold that no one is going outside to get laid....." .

But my favourite line goes to "How glad am I that I'm on the side of facts?"
    Great find @Caiti. Reviews are so useful and not often talked about. Also, how interesting are the differing packet designs? Those Trojan ones look like old medicine or something...
  • ElleBelleElleBelle Posts: 410 Community Manager
    Triple bagging @NickiPower - we know what @Nurse_Nettie would say about that!!
  • mak_trouble891mak_trouble891 Posts: 563 Mod Squad
    I've heard of people using gladwrap or sandwich bags
  • Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie Posts: 319 Mod Squad
    edited August 2016
    @ElleBelle yeah, triple bagging is not safer! In fact, using more than one condom at a time is LESS SAFE. You can check out this Playsafe guide for everything you need to know about condoms, but here are the key Do's & Don'ts:

DO's:
    • Make sure your condom is in good condition (not too old, not torn, not sun/heat damaged!)
    • Put the condom on right (hold the tip to leave room for ejaculate. Unroll it fully & not inside out!)
    • Take the condom out right (hold onto the base when withdrawing so it doesn't get left behind!)
    • Use a condom the whole time (you're not fully covered if there's penetration before the condom is on)
    • Use water based lube as needed (oil based lube like vaseline can cause condoms to break!)
    DON'Ts:
    • Never use a condom more than once
    • Never use more than one condom at a time
    • Never use oil based lubes with condoms
  • NickiPowerNickiPower Posts: 423 Rock Star
    Thanks @Nurse_Nettie! Yeah, I knew that scene wasn't right at all! And when the character said he was carrying 3 my other thought was "How old are they??" :smiley:
  • ElleBelleElleBelle Posts: 410 Community Manager
    I had a friend in high school who used gladwrap as a condom @mak_trouble891. To the surprise of nobody, his girlfriend fell pregnant immediately.
    @ElleBelle I can't even master the art of wrapping left overs with glad wrap, let alone anything else! 
    Wow @ElleBelle really? I guess that just goes to show that it doesn't work lol
  • kindofsquishykindofsquishy Posts: 56 Mod Squad
    I've heard stories about guys trying to use all sorts of things... chocolate bar wrappers, glad wrap, hopes and dreams....

None of those things are anywhere near close to being effective as a condom ;) haha
    The only thought's I have reading through these alternatives.... "Just, What??????"
    The worst one I have heard of a guy trying to use was foil :open_mouth:
    I'm having trouble even imagining foil. It warrants both an ouch and what????? @mak_trouble891
    I know right @Curiosity and @NickiPower. I had the same reaction, like ouch!! I didn't get details lol
  • walk_on_wallswalk_on_walls Posts: 191 Mod Squad
    Hopefully it was Cherry-Ripe-wrapper-type foil, not aluminum foil!
  • RoseHillRoseHill Posts: 71 Mod Squad
    Hahaha yes @NikkiPower about Offspring!!! I definitely remember cringing in that episode thinking surely Nina would know better... she's an OBGYN!?  :D
    Did anyone notice our Hump Day blog on the Do's and Don'ts of condoms?

https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/sex-ed/dos-and-don%E2%80%99ts-condoms

• teatea Posts: 267 Mod Squad
    Cringing at the thought of someone using anything other than a condom on their penis tbh, glad wrap and foil? Um? No thanks.
    I totally agree @tea, but apparently it happens!