HIV killing condoms? - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Sexual Health HIV killing condoms?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pollypower
    Participant

Has anyone else heard about VivaGel?

”VivaGel contains an antiviral compound that, when used as a coating for condoms, can reduce the risk of exposure to viruses that cause sexually transmitted infections. In the lab, the lubricant’s antimicrobial agent – inactivated up to 99.9 percent of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), HSV (herpes simplex virus), and HPV (human papillomavirus)”.

Also being trialled to help cure Bacterial Vaginosis, what more could we want!!!!!

Ps- I seen them in the chemist the other day, and they are priced similarly to others.__

pollypower
    Participant

I should also mention, use this knowledge wisely.
    VivaGel can be an irritant to the genitals if used frequently for prolonged periods of time, which can make STI easier to transmit. It’s a bit of a catch 22 really.
    So might not be suitable for sex workers, or those who are having sex frequently.

Lube_Man
    Participant

Awesome @pollypower ! Fun fact….Ansell has a licensing agreement with the company who created Vivagel, look out for the product “Dual Protect”, where the condoms come pre-lubricated with the VivaGel lube!

blithe
    Participant

Ugh, look at all the bleeped out words! That’s thanks to our overzealous profanity filter. I am still working on whitelisting a bunch of terms!
    Sarah

pollypower
    Participant

@Lube_man dual protect are the condoms I seen.
    What do you think about them?

Lube_Man
    Participant

Nothing wrong with them that I can see if the sex is more irregular such as hetero identifying men who have sex with other men….but as you mentioned it can cause irritation to genitals from prolonged use so for those of us who enjoy an active or highly active sex life….not a great solution….

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

I tend to be in favour of a condom and water based lube. As you have said, anti-microbial agents can be irritating to the skin and that can lead to the opportunity for infections to enter via the broken skin.

teatea

Any updates on that trial for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis? @nurse_nettie? I’m definitely still a big fan of water-based lube too.

I wonder who uses products like these in conjunction with other forms of contraception? To be honest, I’d never heard of VivaGel before! I think I would have used it in the past if I did know, reducing the risk of HIV exposure up to 99.9% is just such a good reason not to. Though I would be concerned about interactions too. Shame water-based doesn’t have the same perks,,,

Nurse_NettieNurse_Nettie
    Keymaster

@tea Despite some early claims about Vivagel preventing a range of STIs, it’s only been approved in Australia & the EU to treat Bacterial Vaginosis! It may be a good addition to the treatments we already have for BV, but best to get advice from your doctor about what’s right for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Sexual Health’ is closed to new topics and replies.