Book Club - Play Safe Forum Topics
Use this button to quickly leave the website
Quick Exit
Visit the blog

Home Forums Hanging Out Book Club

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    mak_trouble891
    Participant

Is anyone here into reading? What are you reading at the moment?

I just ordered a book online and am waiting for it to be delivered, it’s called ‘How (not) to start an orphanage’

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’ve been slacking on my reading because of uni work. I need to get back into it! I’ve got POPism in my bag right now, which is about Andy Warhol and I was reading the Second Sex before but had to stop because of uni/other things. What I read of it was quite good!

walk_on_walls
    Participant

I recently finished The Red Queen, by Australian author Isobelle Carmody. And now I’m making my way through my first Terry Pratchett (Good Omens) and a classic, Midnight’s Children (Salman Rushdie).

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

I have two tracks when I’m reading  (Which usually translates to two vastly different books on the go at the same time).

Reliving my early high-school years by re-reading Looking for Alibrandi for the fiction, and for the non-fiction military portion of my reading about a fifth of the way through Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell (who most of you will remember better for being portrayed by Mark Wahlberg in the movie of the same name)

mak_trouble891
    Participant
    Favourite authors anyone?
    walk_on_walls
    Participant

Looking for Alibrandi – what a classic! And actually pretty relevant to this forum when you think about Josie’s decisions around sex with Jacob.

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

Hey @walk_on_walls – It really is incredibly relevant to this group. I’d almost forgotten how relevant.

I was that kid in high school who read so much that I made friends with the head of the English department (HoE) and the school librarian.  I actually got hold of Looking for Alibrandi the first time in Y8 (first year of High School in QLD) because the HoE got an advance copy before it was made the Y10 book of the semester, and told the librarian I’d probably enjoy it. He was right, I read and reread it so many times that by the time it became our in-class book in Y10, my English teacher had to assign me something else to read – which is when I decided to put it away for a while.  I picked up a copy again for the first time before Christmas.

As for favourite authors as asked by @mak_trouble891 – if we’re talking all time, then I would have to say Roald Dahl (BFG for the win) and Shakespeare. Cliched I’m sure, but as the destroyer of book catalogues in my youth, these (and Alibrandi) were the most re-read.

Curiosity
    Participant

I wish I had more time to read BUT I have discovered the joys of audible in listening to narrated books, I just finished To kill a mockingbird which was a classic.

mak_trouble891
    Participant

That’s so cool @Caiti I have never thought to try audible books. Can you just download them?

@MsBlueStreak I loved Roald Dahl books as a kid, I can’t wait till my nephews are just a little bit older so we can start reading them together 🙂

MsBlueStreak
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 – have a look on iTunes (or Google Play if that’s your thing) – there are plenty of books there.  And if you Google free audio-books, you my find some interesting reads (listens?).

Also, if your nephews haven’t reached the right age for Roald Dahl, you could always try starting with Dr Seuss. Just be careful of One Fish, Two Fish – apparently it’s addictive (I had to read it to my put my God Children to sleep every time I visit). 

Curiosity
    Participant

@mak_trouble891 yes you can, it’s around $15 per month and you get a book per month and discounted ones if you want to buy more. It’s great I listen to them on the way to and from work

mak_trouble891
    Participant

Awesome thanks @Caiti and @MsBlueStreak Ill have a look and see what I can find 🙂
    I forgot about Dr Seuss, lol definitely addictive. Ill have to get my hands on some of those books too.

pommygirl21
    Participant

I’m reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J maas. really good book series about whether people are born good o evil or if we ae made that way

mak_trouble891
    Participant

That sounds awesome @pommygirl21, I’m currently reading masses of journal articles for a uni assignment ugh…. I can’t wait to finish so I can start reading something I enjoy

Aunt_FloAunt_Flo

I’ve started the Communist Manifesto. Went into the bookshop and walked out with it. Good so far!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Hanging Out’ is closed to new topics and replies.